Thursday, June 26, 2008

Day Six, Mykonos

Waking up naked on a bare mattress is not a good way to start the day. Fortunately my day only got better. We once again got up early enough to pig out at breakfast. We spent the morning laying by the pool with some of our group and looked at everyone's ridiculous pictures from Paradise Beach. Dave asked what we wanted to do that night and I suggested we have a theme party, specifically a toga party. I thought he would make fun of me for wanting to do something so stereotypical but we soon had a toga party on the agenda for the night. I was pumped... a toga party in Greece is quite a step up from a frat house.

There was a restaurant close to our hotel that everyone raved about so Kelly and I wanted to eat there before we left the island. We went there for lunch with Teneal and the Kazzies. My lunch was so delicious, spaghetti with feta, tomatoes and fresh herbs. We had a few drinks with lunch and did not stop drinking until the early morning hours. After lunch we posted up at the pool bar and chatted up Yorgos. He started giving us shots and our leisurely afternoon turned into drunken shenanigans. I also noticed Yorgos wasn't charging me for some of my beers. That was one of the many great things about Greece, bartenders wouldn't hesitate to give you a free drink for every few you ordered. I'd been loud and proud about my tendency to pee in public and I was openly peeing in the pool (I'll admit I'm gross... the pool was saltwater and I don't think there was any chlorine in it). Kelly and Teneal did the most intense body shot I've ever seen. Around 6:00 we stumbled inside to get ready for dinner. The drinking didn't stop there, though. We conveniently had a shelf in our shower that was perfect for holding a Mythos.

Tonight was our included dinner, a buffet at the hotel. From what I can remember it was pretty good, but I was anxious for dinner to end so I could suit up in my toga. I do remember there being really good watermelon, probably because I ate several pounds of it. Side note: I went to town anytime there was fresh fruit at a meal. I think this helped in avoiding full-blown illness over the course of the trip. We went back to the room to style white sheets into a toga. Our toga design was cute but not built to the body.

The toga party was in the "club" of our hotel, which I think serves only as a holding cell to keep the Contikis from running rampant around the property all night. The other Contiki group we had gone with to Paradise Beach was also in attendance. Other than them the only other people who joined the party were random staff members (Kelly's front desk guy, for example). Yorgos had the playlist I made for him downloaded onto his computer but for some reason it wouldn't play. That's not to say we didn't try to make it work... we were given free range of anything we wanted to touch on the DJ equipment, which was a pretty elaborate system. We were also allowed to go behind the bar and pour drinks. They really do let you get away with anything in Greece. I had a feeling our togas wouldn't stay on for long. Within maybe 20 minutes of the party starting, Layne revealed he had made his own homemade Elephant Man trunk using a sock and a shoestring. For the rest of the night he let his elephant hang out. It took a few more drinks but soon some of us turned our togas into capes, and most had very little or nothing on underneath. There was a rather portly fellow from the other Contiki who leeched onto us. No one really knew who he was or where he came from. But once he saw Kelly's fondness for lifting up her toga, he followed her around the rest of the night.

As the night wore on we were no longer content to stay fully dressed and indoors. I'm not sure who gave the signal, but it was time to get naked. A handful of us ran across the street to the beach and skinny dipped. As I looked around in my drunken stupor to figure out who my fellow exhibitionists were, I noticed a few unfamiliar faces (and bodies). Kelly's boyfriend from the other Contiki had joined us. He even picked Kelly up in her birthday suit (GROSS!). That guy really had no concept of personal boundaries, not to mention he was suffering from a crippling case of shrinkage. As if that wasn't bad enough, the guy who was our BUS DRIVER for our duration in Mykonos was butt ass naked in the ocean right alongside us. Where the hell did he come from? We splashed around for awhile until realizing just how cold it was, then everyone ran out to jump in the hot tub. Somewhere in the confusion I lost my underwear and my camera. Kelly and I wandered the beach for awhile in search of my camera, but no luck. I was almost in tears, so we went back to the hotel to look for it (I'm pretty sure we were just wrapped in wet white sheets at this point). Fortunately Layne had grabbed it down at the beach and we finally figured out he had it. We were going to join the group in the hot tub, but Kelly's new friend was heading toward us so we took off back to our room. I think it was somewhere between 2:00 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. when we called it a night. We'd been drinking non-stop since noon. Greece fucking rocks!

No comments: